5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Wait To Write Your Book
There is an idea in the writing community that you aren't really a good writer until you have written one million words. And that everything you write until that point is just practice. And, this fits well with another theory that people need 10,000 hours of practice until they reach they can reach their absolute best in a complex skill set.
These theories haunted me for some time.
You see, I knew I hadn't written even close to one million words, or written for 10,000 hours. But here I was I was writing a book. A book I wanted to publish – I didn't want it to be just for practice.
But suppose I was publishing junk?
However, I decided to write my book anyway. And these theories shouldn't stop you from writing up your great book idea. Maybe you are unwilling to waste your phenomenal plot right now - you want to save it for when you are a better writer.
And I'm not saying you should throw a book together without trying to do your best. But I do think it is important to write your ideas while you have them. So here are five reasons why beginning authors should write their books right now.
1. You need to leave yourself growing room. It would be great to begin with a perfect book. Until you write your second. Think about it, if you start off with your magnum opus, everything else you offer will disappoint your readers.
2. You have the passion and interest to go with this book right now. Suppose you lose interest in this idea by the time your prose is in tip-top shape? Write now while you are excited about this book.
3. You can always edit. Yep, editing works wonders.
4. Your idea may not be relevant in a few years. This one applies mostly to nonfiction, I think. But you may find that after five years of waiting to write your novel, others have written a dozen variations of it.
5. You will be getting closer to the one million words mark. Pretty obvious, but you will be improving as you write, so go for it!
And remember, if you haven't written one million words it doesn't mean you aren't a good writer, it just means your have room to grow! So there you have it, five reasons why you shouldn't wait to write. What are your thoughts on the one million words until perfection idea?