5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Wait To Write Your Book

There is an idea in the writing community that you aren't really a good writer until you have written one million words. And that everything you write until that point is just practice. And, this fits well with another theory that people need 10,000 hours of practice until they reach they can reach their absolute best in a complex skill set.

These theories haunted me for some time.

You see, I knew I hadn't written even close to one million words, or written for 10,000 hours. But here I was I was writing a book. A book I wanted to publish – I didn't want it to be just for practice.

But suppose I was publishing junk?

Heaven forbid.

However, I decided to write my book anyway. And these theories shouldn't stop you from writing up your great book idea. Maybe you are unwilling to waste your phenomenal plot right now - you want to save it for when you are a better writer.

And I'm not saying you should throw a book together without trying to do your best. But I do think it is important to write your ideas while you have them. So here are five reasons why beginning authors should write their books right now.

1. You need to leave yourself growing room. It would be great to begin with a perfect book. Until you write your second. Think about it, if you start off with your magnum opus, everything else you offer will disappoint your readers.

2. You have the passion and interest to go with this book right now. Suppose you lose interest in this idea by the time your prose is in tip-top shape? Write now while you are excited about this book.

3. You can always edit. Yep, editing works wonders.

4. Your idea may not be relevant in a few years. This one applies mostly to nonfiction, I think. But you may find that after five years of waiting to write your novel, others have written a dozen variations of it.

5. You will be getting closer to the one million words mark. Pretty obvious, but you will be improving as you write, so go for it!

And remember, if you haven't written one million words it doesn't mean you aren't a good writer, it just means your have room to grow! So there you have it, five reasons why you shouldn't wait to write. What are your thoughts on the one million words until perfection idea?

Comments

  1. Excellent thoughts. If I had to pick I would say that #2 is the best reason. If God has given you a passion or idea, run with it, and write about it with all the ability that he has given you at that time. If you are writing to glorify God, and have done the best that you can do, does it really matter if it is perfect? Sometimes we wait too long, and bury our talents, and like the servant in the parable, those talents are taken away. I once considered myself to be a fairly decent creative writer. Nothing that I cared to publish, but enjoyable to read. However, my chosen profession involved a fair bit of scientific/academic writing. Science papers require a different style then proper literature, it must be dense, passive, to the point and above all else impossibly boring, (that last part is just my opinion). After several years of writing exclusively in this style, I found that my old writing was a thing of the past. It is a struggle to write creatively now, I keep working, trying to get it back, trying to write something that I would want to read, but I don't know if that talent will come back.
    Anyhoo, now I've gone and babbled far too much. Thanks for a great article. Go and write that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you liked it! It's so true that if you've done your best and are writing to glorify God, then perfection isn't the most important thing. And I hope your creative writing goes well!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree that you DON'T have to write 1 million words to write something good. (I've read so many books by authors and it's been the first book they ever wrote and the books were brilliant!) I know, though, that the more you write, the better you get. ;) Which is fabulous yes! But absolutely write as if everything you pen counts. AWESOME article!!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I totally agree with many authors' first books being brilliant! And you're right, writing as if everything you pen counts is the best way to go about it!

      Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked this blog post! It gave me an extra boost for when I join Camp NaNoWriMo this July :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was helpful! And I hope Camp NaNoWriMo goes well for you! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I hope so too. I tried it once a year and a half ago, but this time, I've got a clear vision of where the story is headed, and I've written down an outline. I hope that helps me keep my motivation, so I don't give up on it again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts