Beyond Coffee: 7 Healthy Energy Foods for Writers

There's nothing like a cup of coffee to keep you company during a mad dash to reach your word count for the day. Or even when you are writing at a leisurely pace, it seems like coffee is the perfect drink.

But sometimes it's fun to try other energy boosters, and I've come up with a list of (mostly) caffeine free energy foods, I hope you find it useful!

1. Tyrosine. This stuff is an amino acid. I believe it is called Nature's Caffeine. And take it from me, it is amazing. It's like a caffeine high without the jitters. It will give you plenty of energy and help you stay alert.

If you don't have any tyrosine at home, it's easy to get at a health food store. Another option is to eat a spoonful of peanut butter, because it is rich in tyrosine. Or you could go with a peanut butter sandwich, or a peanut butter cookie, or peanut brittle . . . you get the idea. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but chocolate has tyrosine in it as well. But it has caffeine, too, and this is supposed to be a mostly caffeine free post.

2. Kelp. I love kelp. It's great because it gives me a steady energy throughout the day, and because it is so nutritious, I don't have as many cravings between meals. I was so enthusiastic about this superfood, I tried making a kelp powder and spinach smoothie the other day. Frankly, it was disgusting. The texture was too thick and goopy. I'm sticking with kelp capsules until I find a better recipe for this.

3. B vitamins. B is a wonderful vitamin for when you are feeling sluggish. You can get a good B vitamin mix in powder form. Mix it with water or juice, and drink it, and you're ready to go. Go write, that is. Don't get distracted and start working out or cleaning house, because you will feel alert and ready to do something active. Bonus: you don't get a caffeine crash after taking these!

4. Chia Seeds. These little seeds have a ton of nutrients. They give you a substantial, long lasting sort of energy. They are tasty mixed with plain yogurt and a few berries. This yummy snack can be eaten while sitting in front a computer, so it is ideal for writers.

5. Ginseng. According to this article, ginseng “provides high energy and fights fatigue”. I haven't tried ginseng, but it sounds like it would be a great substitute for caffeine!

6. Royal Jelly. This is produced by bees and fed to their larvae. It is full of B vitamins - how appropriate ;) - and other good stuff. It will make you pretty hyper. But some people have extreme allergic reactions to it, so please be careful and check this out thoroughly before you try any!

7. Yerba Mate (pronounced yer-ba mah-tay). This tea comes from a South American plant that is a member of the holly family. Yerba mate does have caffeine; (although less than coffee) it is rejuvenating and it contains a lot of antioxidants. I like it best with a little sweetener and lemon in it. You can drink it hot or iced, so it's perfect any time of year!

I hope this have been helpful for you! I'd love to hear about your favorite energy boosting foods and drinks, feel free to share your thoughts!

Note: Please be careful when trying these foods and supplements – not every food is going to work well for everybody. If you have any allergies or food sensitivities, be sure to check with your doctor before trying these!

Comments

  1. This is a very helpful post! I've been eating spoonfuls of peanut butter for a while, because of the protein boost. Great to know it's an energy boost too. However, when I need an energy boost I'm likely to go with ice tea.
    Thanks for posting!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    Inklined

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you liked it!

    Peanut butter has been my go to energy snack for a while, but tea is wonderful! I love that there are so many varieties and so many ways to serve it. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I have a bit of an interest in nutrition that goes along with my love for sustainable agriculture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how neat! Isn't nutrition great? Honestly, it took me some time to become really interested in nutrition, but now I love learning about it, it's so useful!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts