5 Bookish Reasons to be Thankful

It's almost Thanksgiving, and I've realized I have many reasons to be thankful. I really do.

And I've compiled a special Thanksgiving-inspired list of just how grateful I am that I don't live in the following book genres. Let's get started!


1. I'm super thankful I'm not in a YA dystopian book. Most girls in these books need skills in weapons and martial arts to survive in these stories. And I . . . well, I don't have those skills. And they end up leading revolutions. I'm all for making a better world, but I get caught up in the details. Like what kind of social media presence you should be cultivating for your cause while doing this revolution thing. (#LetsAllRevolt #ThisWillBeToughButThatIsNotReallyMyFault #IFeelBadAboutItThough #ViolenceAndChange #LoveTriangle #AngstForever – these don't sound very catchy.) Let's just say I'm not cut out for that sort of thing.



2. I'm very grateful I don't live in a Christian romance. It's pretty much a given that I'd become a babbling moron while in the presence of a tall, attractive man with dark hair and a mischievous grin. And then I might have an inexplicable emotional breakdown in the middle of a happy romantic relationship. And my ability to communicate this problem like a rational human being would mysteriously evaporate. And then a totally unsolvable and unforgivable issue from his past (like an unpaid electric bill) might surface after we've agreed to meet every Tuesday for coffee and deep, soulful conversations. Awkward . . . 
 

3. I am absolutely happy that I don't reside in a mystery book. Yes, it's fun to read a good old Agatha Christie now and then. But I probably wouldn't live very long in such a book. People get killed in mysteries. I might be one of those people. No thanks.

4. I really appreciate the fact that I do not dwell in an epic poem. Oh sure, these things are grand. But have you ever noticed how long it takes people to say anything in these poems? For instance, take this simple conversation.

“Hey, let's get some lunch.”

“Sure, sounds good.” 

If this was in the poetry genre it could very well turn into a mini epic of its own. Like: “Companions on this perilous quest! Harken to me. I have long considered the mortal state of us all. Our short lives in this grim world are like bright and fierce torches; we flame for a time then sputter out – leaving but an empty token of our existence. But that time is not now upon us! Now we fight, we strive! We must refresh our mortal bodies with the good bounty of the earth so we may elude eternity for a while longer.” 

“In truth, you say this well. Let us hasten forth to the banquet hall.”

This really isn't my communication style.



5. I'm (kind of) glad I don't live in a fantasy book. Yes, there would be a lot of cool things in it. But when it comes right down to it, if the orcs didn't get me, then my destiny would. It would probably involve things like taking down dark lords, riding dragons, becoming an expert swords-woman in six weeks, saving entire civilizations, things like that. Do I have the grit to do all these things? Probably not. But I'm pretty sure there's a library in Rivendell; I could learn Elvish and be a librarian there. So I actually might be able to live in a fantasy novel.

So what genres are at the top of your “I'm glad I don't live here” list? Or what genres would you like to live in? And do you know of any librarian positions in fantasy books? Middle Earth is my first choice, but I'm not picky.

Photo credits: 
Also a lovey book! by Tim Geers is licensed under GCC-BY SA 2.0
Chris Combe via StockPholio.com
The Lady of Shallot: Wikipaintings

Comments

  1. I think you should take up writing epic poetry as a hobby... or you could live in one of Donita K. Paul's books as a librarian. :) (but seriously, if you decide to move to Rivendell, take me with you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about Donita K. Paul's books, and if I recall correctly they have a lot of libraries in them! There are so many choices...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts