2014 Recap!

Hi, everyone! I hope you are having a great year so far!

I'm looking forward to the new year. I think 2015 will be a great year, but I couldn't have got to this point without everything I learned in 2014. I'm looking forward to meeting goals and trying new things this year.

Speaking of goals, I blogged about my reading goals last year. Here's an update on that.

1.) Learn to read Biblical Greek. Well, I didn't get very far on this. I still can't read it. Why? Because I didn't make it a priority. 

2.) Read at least 10 volumes of poetry. I finished this one, I really did! I read 12 volumes this year. Well, actually I finished the last one a few minutes after midnight on December 31st. This is the goal I am most happy to have met. I believe I got a feel for the genre, and read a lot of books I wouldn't have normally picked up.

3.) Read at least 3 independently published books. I read two. And about 6% on another.

4.) Read 75 books in 2014. I read 79.

So I reached two and a halfish out of four. Not terribly bad, but not terribly good. I'm satisfied for now.

And my favorite reads of the year?

Here are my top ten in no particular order:

Sonnets From the Portuguese and Other Love Poems, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Cinder, by Marissa Meyer

Deception, by C.J. Redwine

Mysteries of the Medieval Ages, by Thomas Cahill

Education of a Wandering Man, by Louis L'Amour

Cybele's Secret, by Juliet Marillier

The Fatal Tree, by Stephen Lawhead

Trusting God, by Jerry Bridges

Evidence Not Seen, Darlene Deibler Rose

The Scorpio Races, by Maggie Stiefvater


And I have a few reading goals in mind for 2015. For instance:

1. Learn to read Greek, because I didn't last year.

2. Read more indie authors. I've found several books that look fantastic, and I think I'll read more than I did last year.

3. Read 80 books. Any genre. (Poetry will be included. I don't have to read it this year, but I want to anyway.)

4. Read more practical stuff. Last year I went outside my comfort zone and read a lot of poetry. This year I would like to read more books that have a practical application. Such as wilderness survival, nutrition, health, and financial investments. And how to enjoy poetry, be better writing, and maybe something about home improvement. I want to learn about stuff I can actually use. It will be good for me.

So what were your favorite reads of last year, and what do your reading goals look like this year?

Comments

  1. The Scorpio Races is on my TBR shelf (ah, who am I kidding? *shelves*.), so I'm glad it made it into the top ten for you! And I'll have to work on something more specific than "read at least 35 books" for my reading goals... it sounds pretty pitiful next to your 80, but I'm a slow reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scorpio Races was a great book, I can't pin down exactly what I liked so much, but it was a good read, I hope you enjoy it! :) And I'd bet you retain a lot more of your reading than I do of mine, slower reading is awesome!

      Delete
  2. I love to see your goal about Biblical Greek, because I want to learn Latin! I speak Spanish tolerably, and I think I'm ready to branch off into another language. Exciting stuff, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Latin sounds like a challenge, but one that is definitely worth it! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts