5 Things Librarians Want You to Stop Doing

I love going to libraries. It's great to visit one as a patron. And it's also great to work at one. I've been volunteering at a library for years, and I love it. It's been an overwhelmingly positive experience – there isn't much to complain about.

But just in case you were wondering, here are five things I do complain about. (Being the flawed human being that I am.) I imagine other library workers don't care for them either, hence the title. Before we get started, I just want you to know this isn't intended to offend anyone. And no one gets banished for these offenses. At least, not that I know of. ;)

1. Eating while using the computers. If you want to eat while using your own PC, that's cool. If you want to eat at a table, that's good, too. But please don't eat while using a library computer. Somebody has to clean up that greasy, yucky, sticky mess, and – no.

2. Keeping books out too long. We love our babies books. We also love for readers to enjoy books, but we also need to get them back eventually. Especially when everybody is clamoring for the latest big hit. However, we are very flexible with renewals. As long as nobody else is waiting for a book, you are more than welcome to renew your loan!

3. Stealing books. Yes, this happens. And it's not good. I spent time in a jail cell because of this. I know what you're thinking, but no, I didn't steal anything.

It's a bit of a long story, but once upon a time an entire series of books mysteriously disappeared. IT WAS HEARTBREAKING. We wanted to be sure that a volunteer hadn't removed them by mistake. So I spent a good half hour searching through boxes of old books that were going to be recycled. These boxes were kept in an ancient jail cell turned storage room that was under the city hall, so that's why I was in a jail cell.

But the books just weren't there. Or anywhere. Someone had filched them. I was sad. 

4. Avoiding the library. Seriously, we want to see you here! We want people to use the library. That's why we put effort into what we do here. We wouldn't have a reason to open up if people didn't come. Some people worry that libraries are dying out. I wouldn't go that far, but I do hope people will take advantage of what our library has to offer.

5. Not asking for the books you want. Do you want to see a book on the shelves? Then don't be shy; ask for it. I do the book buying for my library, and I can't speak for everyone out there, obviously, but I really appreciate requests. I love finding books on my own, but nothing beats a list from our patrons. I know I'll be getting books people are actually planning to read, and that's awesome! 

And that's everything. But overall, working at my library is an awesome experience, and I'm really glad I have the opportunity to be there!

Comments

  1. I didn't know you were a librarian! : D That's so cool! It shines through your blog posts. I should've guessed before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been working at my library for a while, it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Keeping books out too long/stealing books also annoys me, and I'm not a librarian... I just sometimes want that book that has been squirreled away by someone else. Interesting story about the old jail cell! Our office has a caged storage space downstairs nicknamed "the dungeon," but it never actually was such a thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I think everybody can agree with the stealing/keeping books too long. I understand the overdo books, but it's so disappointing when people steal things! :(

      Yes, old basements just seem to have a lot character, for some reason, even if they aren't nice places!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I agree with every one of these. And I remember that jail cell ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, those were the days. Books, dim jail cells, and mildew! ;)

      Delete
  4. This is good to know! I ask my library to buy books so much, that I'm pretty much on a first name basis with the librarian in charge of book ordering.
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, Inklined!

    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, it's great to know that people are using and enjoying libraries! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts