The Song of Hiawatha: A Review

780875
I finished reading The Song of Hiawatha a couple of months ago, and I'm finally getting around to posting a review.

Longfellow's poem is set in North America. I believe it's based on old legends. The poem tells the story of the young man Hiawatha, a native American, who was born of the west wind and a woman of the moon.

And now that I think of it, Hiawatha displays both the warrior-like tendencies of his father, as well as a sort of wisdom and intuition you might expect an otherworldly being such as his mother to have. (Well done, Longfellow!)

The poem is divided into chapters that tell about Hiawatha's life. His adventures, challenges, losses, family, friends. How he leads his people, defeats their enemies, how he wooed his wife, the sudden and tragic appearance of plague. And finally, when Hiawatha takes his leave, sailing away to the west. The poem has feeling, epic adventures, and all the great elements of a classic.

Hiawatha was easy to read, and the rhythm was really neat. It's a good poem. The storytelling was nicely done, and I liked it.

Comments

  1. I love a good massively long poem! I have a pretty, old copy of Longfellow's "Evangeline" which I promise myself I'll read one of these days... : ) I'm working on it! I love the sound of Hiawatha's parents. They remind me of mine. : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like long poems, too! (Within reason - some can be just way too long!) But I think Hiawatha was the perfect length.

      Delete
  2. The Song of Hiawatha sounds like a great epic, and one that I'd love to read someday. The only epic I've ever read is Beowulf, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It flowed so nicely, and it told such an epic story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a good epic poem. I really enjoyed Beowulf too, and I'd never thought of it before, but you're right, the storyline does flow very nicely!

      Delete
    2. Hello Candice. I am so glad to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop byou blog post. Your blog post gives me an opportunity to share about the program our church has for the young and the adults from the West. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also necourage young people and adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missons trip to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come with your fariends to come and work with us during your vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changinng experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

      Delete
    3. Hello Candice. I am so glad to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop byou blog post. Your blog post gives me an opportunity to share about the program our church has for the young and the adults from the West. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also necourage young people and adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missons trip to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have you come with your fariends to come and work with us during your vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changinng experience. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts