Resistance | Review

Resistance (Ilyon Chronicles, #1) 



 “Don’t you know? Animals like you have no soul.”

Could God ever love a half-blood all of society looks upon with such fear and disdain? Jace once believed so, but when a tragic loss shatters the only peace he’s ever known, his faith crumbles as the nagging doubts he’s tried to put behind him descend on his grieving heart. With them come the haunting memories of the bloodstained past he longs to forget, but can never escape.

Taken from home at a young age and raised to serve the emperor, Kyrin Altair lives every day under a dangerous pretense of loyalty. After her unique observation skills and perfect memory place her into direct service to the emperor, Kyrin finds herself in further jeopardy as it becomes increasingly difficult to hide her belief in Elôm, the one true God.

Following the emperor’s declaration to enforce the worship of false gods under the penalty of death, many lives are endangered. But there are those willing to risk everything to take a stand and offer aid to the persecuted. With their lives traveling paths they never could have imagined, Jace and Kyrin must fight to overcome their own fears and conflicts with society as they become part of the resistance.

– From the publisher | Add it on Goodreads

When I started this book, I thought it would be predictable. I was wrong.


I was sure Jace would spend the book in a typical, angsty, brooding, yet incredibly-charming-YA-hero kind of way. He didn't.

I thought Kyrin would be a snappy, spunky go-getter in the typical adorable-YA-heroine sort of way. She wasn't.

I thought the clash of religions would mirror the first century conflict between Christianity and the Roman government. It did, somewhat, but there there were some good original aspects to it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the originality in this book. The storyline was intriguing, but the characters were definitely my favorite part. 

At first, I wasn't sure if I would like Kyrin. She seemed to become rather childish during her time in the palace. Yes, she was in a threatening, unfamiliar situation. However, it seemed like she was always wishing for protection and guidance from her brother or mentor, and didn't have a lot of confidence in herself. But that changed. She grows up a lot, and makes her own decisions, and it was wonderful to see that development in her character. And while Kyrin is gifted with an incredible memory, she also becomes nervous in crowds, and seems to suffer from social anxiety. This was a good piece of character development. It made sense because if you did have a perfect memory, it would be really hard to cope in certain situations. (See what I mean by well written characters?)

Like I said, I figured Jace would be a pretty predictable character. But he wasn't. I thought Jace's character development was excellent. I felt a lot of sympathy for him. His character arc is pretty specific, we mostly see Jace coming out or grief and depression. He has a lot of potential as a character, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the second book.

Overall, I liked this book! It was a believable, engaging story. There are a couple things I wasn't too sure about, but it delivered a good story, and the characters were marvelous. 

 Have you read Resistance? What did you think?

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you read Resistance! It's one of my favorites (and I can't believe I haven't read book 1.5 or 2 yet!). Part of the reason I liked it so much, like you said, is the amazing character development; I could relate to Kyrin extremely well, and Jace is such an unpredictable and intriguing character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the characters are wonderful, I love how they grow throughout the story, and I'm looking forward to the next book. It was a really good book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts