10 Bookish Confessions


When people hear that you are reader, they can assume things like that you remember everything you’ve read, or that you have a huge library. These can be true some of the time, but every reader is different. For instance, I don’t own a ton of books, and I don’t remember everything I read. Every reader has a few oddities when it comes to reading. Here are some of my weird reading habits. 

1. I worry about what to read next. There are so many books out there. I want to read them all. I have a to-read list that will take me years to finish. There are so many new books I want to read. I sometimes get stressed out because I can’t read them all at once. 

2. I do not remember everything I read. Nope. Not at all. I have read a lot of books, and I’m satisfied if I remember a few points from each one. There are a few outstanding books that will be in my brain forever. For the most part, though, I don’t remember everything. 

3. I used to go blank when asked to recommend a book. It's not because I didn't have any good books to recommend, it's that when you have to find a good book for a total stranger, it can be hard. Especially if they are kid who doesn't like to read, or someone who hasn't read anything in a while. I get asked to recommend books once in a while, since I work at a library. But I've been getting better at finding books for people, you just have to ask people a few questions about what they like - or don't like.

4. I don’t have favorite books. Well, I guess I do. My list of favorite books is always being added to. I just like books, okay? I can't chose my favorite, but I can tell you my current my top ten. 


5. I own books I probably won’t read again. Yet I still keep them. It’s just bookish nostalgia that keeps them on my shelf. 

6. But I don’t have a ton of books! Weird, I know. Most of my reads come from the local library. I buy a few books here and there, but for the most part my personal library is pretty small. 

7. I have different motivations for reading. Some of them are good, like the fact that I want to learn more about a certain subject, or I’m researching something. Some of my motivations for reading have not been because I was very interested in a reading. When I was just starting to read, I read mostly because I wanted to read as well as my older siblings. Once, I reread an entire book because I couldn’t remember it (see above) and I wanted to be able to discuss it with a guy I liked. I read The Girl on The Train, not because it’s a genre I regularly read, but because it was so popular.

Even though these aren’t my usual motivations for reading, I suppose I learned something new from each reading experience, and that's a good thing.

8. I die a little inside when I see a book lying face down. Please don’t do this to your book! The book was not made to do this. If you do this to my one of my babies books, I won’t let you read any more of of them. 

9. I tear up books. Yes, this does seem to contradict the previous point, but I explained why I think it’s okay to re-purpose books in this post. I've been making bookish crafts for a while now, and it's super fun. I wouldn’t tear up any old book, though. I buy special books for this evil pastime.

10. Sometimes I don’t read. I’m kind of going through a reading slump right now. Trust me, reading slumps are not something that readers make up. They don’t occur because you are a lazy reader, they happen because you get a little jaded, a little tired. After reading so much, it can be hard to find anything that gives you as much joy as your old favorites did. But there are amazing new books being published all the time, and eventually you will find something that brings back the joy of reading!


So now you know all my secrets when it comes to reading! What are some of your bookish confessions?

Comments

  1. I relate to so many things on this list! I struggle recommending books, and forget what I've read, and definitely, definitely, cringe when I see someone leave a book face down, or roll the cover, or fold the pages..

    Anyway, I've just found your blog, and I'm enjoying looking around (you've so many good bookish and writerly posts here)! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Recommending books is definitely a challenge! Glad I'm not the only one who cringes when people dog ear book pages!

      Thank you! It's been really fun to write this blog! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts