The Great Gatsby: A (Sort Of) Review

The Great Gatsby
Image Source: Goodreads
I promised myself I wouldn't be pretentious when writing this review. I wouldn't try to make more of this book than I got out of it. I know it's a great American classic, and that people discuss it endlessly, but I just don't have much to say about it.

It was very well written. I loved the descriptions – no cliches here. It wasn't very long. Fitzgerald used a lot of commas. I kept forgetting Nick's name.

But my main thought? It was weird.

Weird because the elegant, seamless prose didn't match the more seamy or violent parts of the book. Perhaps Fitzgerald wanted this contrast. Or maybe it was his just writing style. I can't say.

Okay, on to a summary.

Nick Carraway, the main character has a neighbor. Said neighbor, who goes by Jay Gatsby, is in love with Daisy, Nick's cousin. But Daisy is already married to a rich guy named Tom. But Tom has a mistress as well as a wife. And so the mess proceeds . . .

But the focus of the story isn't on infidelity, exactly. There's a lot about high living, money and friendship in there, too. And there you have it. I can't tell you any more; it would spoil the story.

Comments

Popular Posts