Favorite Heroes in Fiction


I've been tagged by Allison at The Art of Storytelling to name my ten favorite heroes in fiction. There are so many amazing people in books, and it took me a while to narrow it down. All of the following characters have a lot of texture and depth, they aren't perfect people; they have flaws. But they all have one thing in common: they stay true to what matters and are strong when it would have been easy to be weak.


And here's my list!



1. Llew. He is the main character in one of my favorite trilogies, The Song of Albion, by Stephen Lawhead. Without getting too spoilerish here, Llew is a great leader (although he didn't intend to be one) and he would move heaven and earth to protect those he loves.

 2. Seyonne. It's been years since I read the Rai-Kirah trilogy, by Carol Berg in which Seyonne is the main character. So I don't remember all the plot intricacies, but I do recall that he is incredibly loyal, forgiving and self-sacrificing. He's an incredibly decent person. This is even more impressive when you realize all that he's been through.



3. Mel. Mel is from Crown Dual, by Sherwood Smith. She is a loyal, resourceful and courageous countess intent on freeing her people from a corrupt king. Mel is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. She does makes mistakes but she is willing to admit them, and learn all she can.


4. Wilhelmina Klugg, (or Mina). She one of the many characters in the Bright Empires Series, also by Stephen Lawhead. When we first meet Mina, she is dissatisfied with her life and job. After she is accidentally transported to medieval Prague with no chance of getting back, she has to totally rebuild her life. Not only does she start a really neat coffee-house and run her own business, she teaches herself to use ley lines to travel the universe and then helps save it. (Yeah, that sounds kind of cheesy, but trust me, the books aren't that cheesy.)


5. Samwise Gamgee. Sam is a hobbit who is always there for his friends, Frodo in particular. He is selfless, and loyal and perseveres even when all seems lost.

 6. Sir Percival Blakeney. Let's face it: Sir Percy is amazing! (If you haven't read the book, this is a little spoilerish.) Percy performs the dangerous and risky task of smuggling aristocrats that have been condemned to death out of revolutionary era France. He doesn't have to, but chooses to risk his life to help others. And he has excellent taste in cravats. (Fashion sense isn't heroic, but I thought I would add this piece of information anyway.)


7. Amy Dorrit. She's from Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens. She's a very Dicken's sort of character – sweet and kind, never mean to anybody even though she has a good reason to be a harsh person. But not only is she angelic; she is also very strong. I wouldn't call her confident, exactly, but she has a strong character.

8. Miriam Willard. She's the main character in Calico Captive, by Elizabeth George Speare. Miriam is impulsive and hot-tempered, but she is also very loyal to her family. She never gives up on them. And the thing I admire most about Miriam is that she makes wise choices about her future. 

9. Sophie Hatter. Sophie is from Howl's Moving Castle. She's is a very likable character. She has gumption, guts and can handle what life throws at her. And she helps others even though she has plenty of her own problems. 

10. Atticus Finch. If you've read To Kill a Mockingbird, or seen the movie, you know that Atticus Finch is a great guy. He's not afraid to do the right thing even though it's not expected, wanted, or even accepted. But he does it anyway. And that's awesome.


Who are some of your favorite heroes? What are some of the traits you think every hero should have?

Comments

  1. Haha, I love these! And I'm curious... what book is Sir Percival from? You caught my attention with the cravats. : )

    It's so funny that you should mention Amy Dorrit. My great grandmother was named Dorrit after her; my mom wanted to name me that, but my dad vetoed it. It's so cool to see her getting attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And can I say that the detail about cravats reminds me of Dorothy Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey, who I regrettably forgot to add to my post?

      Delete
    2. Glad you liked it! Sir Percy is from The Scarlet Pimpernel. (I can't believe I forgot to add that!)

      That's a really neat story about your grandmother, I don't think I've heard of anyone being named after a character from a Dicken's book before. :)

      Delete
  2. Samwise Gamgee! Yes!

    And Llew's a great guy, too. :) My husband gave me books 2 and 3 for Christmas, and I've already read one of them, and he's more than halfway through it. I think he bought them just so he could read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sounds like it! :)

      And yes, Sam is great! I think he's one of the best characters in LOTR.


      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts