Heidi: A Review


93 
What happens when a little orphan girl is forced to live with her cold and frightening grandfather? The heartwarming answer has engaged children for more than a century, both on the page and on the screen. Johanna Spyri’s beloved story offers youngsters an endearing and intelligent heroine, a cast of unique and memorable characters, and a fascinating portrait of a small Alpine village.


I'll be honest. I didn't like this book very well.

However, the book did have some good points. Heidi is a very positive and loving little girl who is kind to her friends. The grandmama is a really good character, she is my favorite character, actually. I liked how the grandfather eventually becomes a better guardian to Heidi, making sure she is educated and well cared for.

The book is good at conveying emotions – the need to belong, and be accepted. And the need to be loved and understood, and the need to love and understand others. It's the about coming to a place of comfort and healing – and finding a home, although it takes forever for that to happen. And I wish that Heidi could have had a more happy journey home. Heidi has to endure the careless guardianship of her aunt, which brings about mistreatment at the Sesemann household, illness, and a lot of emotional distress before she does make it to a good home, however.

I realize that good stories have conflicts. So I don't blame the author for creating conflicts in Heidi. However. Many of these problems could have been avoided if the adults in the story had been kind, intelligent and good guardians. So on one hand it felt contrived, on the other it just felt sad. I didn't enjoy the reading experience very much.

Overall rating:



Comments

  1. It's too bad you didn't like Heidi. I read this book a long time ago, but I remember really enjoying it. Then again, what I enjoyed many years ago may not be what I enjoy now. I'll have to read Heidi again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't my favorite classic, but the ending was nice! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  2. The movie was my favorite when I was really little! I think I may have read a shortened version, but never the full thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the movie when I was little, too! I also listened to the book on tape before I knew how to read. :)

      Delete
  3. I remember watching the movie with Shirley Temple and really loving it as a kid, though to be honest, I don't think I've read the book. Glad to read a review for it. Thanks for sharing, Candice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the Shirley Temple movie, too! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts