Peter Pan | Review

683705

Peter Pan, the book based on J.M. Barrie's famous play, is filled with unforgettable characters: Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up; the fairy, Tinker Bell; the evil pirate, Captain Hook; and the three children--Wendy, John, and Michael--who fly off with Peter Pan to Neverland, where they meet Indians and pirates and a crocodile that ticks. 
– Goodreads || Add it on Goodreads

Somehow I reached my twenties before reading Peter Pan. I'm not sure why I didn't read it. I would have loved it as a kid. The good news is, I love it now that I've read it.

Reading Peter Pan was a unique experience. The narration, characters and plot added up to a book that felt like the ultimate childhood read. It had just the right blend of adventure, charm, nonsense, and danger to draw you in. It was never boring, and it just felt like a really fun, exciting story you would want to read again and again.

At first I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was... a bit critical. I kept trying to analyze everything: a nursemaid dog is just not possible, I'm not sure about this Peter kid. Why are Wendy, John, Michael and scores of other children brought to such a dangerous and violent location?

However. Peter Pan isn't supposed to be a commentary on childcare and manners. It's supposed to be a fun, magical and exciting story. So I stopped trying to criticize everything and just enjoyed the adventure. Although I was sad to reach the end, it was adorable and bittersweet. Peter Pan has a lot of adventure, but it also has a lot of heart, and I think that is why it's such a good story. I'm really glad I read this book - I didn't know what I was missing.



Have you read Peter Pan? What did you think?

Comments

  1. I haven't read it, but I am waiting for a Goodreads First Reads (giveaway) copy of Peter: The Untold True Story to arrive in the mail. It's a historical novel about the boy who inspired the story of Peter Pan. Maybe I should read Peter Pan before I read this new novel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend Peter Pan, it's a really fun and lighthearted story. :) And, Peter: The Untold True Story sounds like a creative book! I'm interested in reading it, I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

      Delete
  2. What a great review! I have not read the book, but I'll add it to the TBR pile. While reading your review, I was struck by the way we read books as adults as opposed to how we read them as children. For example, a kid probably wouldn't read Peter Pan and think about how the kids are all put in a danger. They would be too caught up in the excitement. I think it's a good reminder, especially to us writers, about the value of letting ourselves be children occasionally while reading and thrusting ourselves whole-heartedly into a story. My sophomore English teacher always said that it's the readers job to believe, not try to figure out. Of course, it's the writer's job to create a believable world, but the reader does need to work at forgetting how things REALLY work and enter into the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Sometimes I forget to do that, but when you just focus on enjoying the magic of a story, the reading experience is so much better. I like your English teacher's advice! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Anne Maire! :)

      Delete
  3. You and Anne Marie are right, we really DO read books differently. That is why I'm sometimes nervous to reread a book I loved ten to fifteen years ago! I also find it harder to just let go and enjoy a book (which isn't fun!). So I always love a book that brings back the feeling of reading when younger :)
    As an aside, I really love how you review classic books on here, reminding us all why they're worth reading :) I've always loved classic literature myself, but review more advanced readers copies and new books since I work at a bookstore. Still, I tend to prefer a classic to a newbie, nine out of ten times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rereading can be a letdown after you've enjoyed a book so much when you were younger, and then after you've had a lot of time to feel nostalgic about it. But it's just the best when a reread meets your expectations! :)

      Thanks! I've enjoyed reading more classics lately. I probably wouldn't be reading them so frequently if I weren't doing the Classics Club challenge; it's been really helpful in getting me to be more invested in classic literature. And you work at a bookstore? That sounds amazing!!

      Delete
  4. I was in my later teens before I read this. XD SHAME ON ME, TOO. I've grown up on the Disney and live-action versions and jafdskfld Peter Pan is like one of my FAVOURITE stories of all time!! (My blog design is kind of influenced by it too...see!? I'm obsessed. xD) I was surprised at a few things when I read the original. Mostly at how young Peter Pan acted. Like in the movies he was always, idk...oldish? A boy, but not a LITTLE boy, whereas in the books he's got baby teeth and everything. But yes...I still love the magic of the story. <3
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Peter Pan is a great story, definitely my one of my new favorite classics! And I wondered if your blog design was influenced by classics, first I thought Robin Hood maybe, but it matches Peter Pan so much better! (So I'm not sure why I thought of Robin Hood in the first place.) Me too! I was expecting Peter to be older, like about 12 or so, because of the movies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts