100 Cupboards | Reviewing A Book With My Brother!




Twelve-year-old Henry York is going to sleep one night when he hears a bump on the attic wall above his head. It's an unfamiliar house—Henry is staying with his aunt, uncle, and three cousins—so he tries to ignore it. But the next night he wakes up with bits of plaster in his hair. Two knobs have broken through the wall, and one of them is slowly turning...

Henry scrapes the plaster off the wall and discovers doors—ninety-nine cupboards of all different sizes and shapes. Through one he can hear the sound of falling rain. Through another he sees a glowing room—with a man strolling back and forth! Henry and his cousin Henrietta soon understand that these are not just cupboards. They are, in fact, portals to other worlds.

100 Cupboards is the first book of a new fantasy adventure, written in the best world-hopping tradition and reinvented in N.D Wilson's own inimitable style.


Goodreads || Add it on Goodreads

Today I'm reviewing a book with my brother, Isaiah! Isaiah is my younger brother, and he reads a lot, but it's not often we read the same book. But since we did this time, and Isaiah has thought about starting his own blog at some point, we thought it would be fun to review this book together and post it here!

Let's get started!


Writing



Candice:

The writing was nicely done. It wasn't outstanding, but it got point across, and there were parts that made me laugh, some parts that were intense and very well written, and a few parts really flowed.



Isaiah:

I thought that the writing was reasonably good and conveyed the story well. It was a writing style that did all of that while maintaining my interest in the book.




Characters



Candice:

My favorite character was Uncle Frank. At first he's an unremarkable character but as the book went on he started becoming more interesting. He's a little odd, he does things that most people wouldn't do. Like trying to sell tumbleweeds on E-bay, or quoting dramatic poetry at breakfast table.



I would have like to learn more about Henry. Why didn't his parents let him eat sugar? Why did they make him ride in a car seat at nine years of age? I would have like to know more about his background, but we only get vague hints and afterthoughts about it.



And after Henry's cousin, Henrietta was introduced, I said to myself, I know where this girl's going to end up; the spunky curious ones always end up in some kind of trouble. And she did. Either I'm extremely perceptive, or Henrietta was too predictable.



Isaiah:

I liked uncle Frank as the most memorable and likable character. I thought that Henry and how he thought, and the reasons for what he did could have been better explained though. But on the whole the people in the story were real and likable.






Plot



Candice:

I was disappointed with the plot. The book had a lot of potential to be an exciting story, but it took 100 Cupboards as many pages to deliver anything interesting. I almost didn't finish it. I expected a fast paced adventure, and I didn't get it. There was a lot of stuff that felt unimportant and boring. I don't mind a book with a slower pace, it's just that with this book, I expected a fast paced adventure. I kept wondering when the story would take off, and when Henry would start exploring other worlds.



The last part of the book was pretty crazy, all kinds of weird stuff starts happening. But again, I wanted some explanations and back story!



Isaiah:

It seemed the plot was a little slow; in that it consisted of going up and down the stairs, opening cupboards and then closing them and then repeating this process several times throughout the book.


Until, of course the climax at the end.


On the other hand, there are parts of the book I did appreciate because they represented the difference between Henry's life with his parents and his arrival at his relatives' home.


What I thought could have been improved was the part of the book after Henry discovered the cupboards, though I did like the scene when uncle Frank tried to open the door.



Will you read the sequel?


Candice:

Yes, I like the title. And I'm hoping it will be make up for the first book!



Isaiah:

I've already started it, but I don't know if I'll finish it.




Overall ratings

Candice:
I feel like I've been kind of hard on this book. But, considering the fact that it's written for a different age group than my own, and that it does deliver what the summary promises, it's not that bad. Overall, it's a fine book, just not one that I feel very excited about. 




Isaiah:
If I wasn't entirely favorable in my review, then it isn't because I wasn't pleased with this book, or that it was poorly done, but because I wrote what I thought about it. It is a well done book but it isn't more than that.


 




Have you read 100 Cupboards? What did you think? Do you and your siblings ever read the same book at the same time?


Comments

  1. I enjoyed all three books in this series. They ARE a lot slower paced then most of their contemporaries though. My favorite one is the third one (I think, it's been a bit since I read it!). The story takes a while to develop, but they were fun reads overall :)

    Nice review, and fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's good to know that the story gets better! I think the trilogy still has a lot of potential, so I'm going to finish it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts