The Fellowship of The Ring || Better Than I Remembered

423092


In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell into the hands of Bilbo Baggins, as told in The Hobbit.
In a sleepy village in the Shire, young Frodo Baggins finds himself faced with an immense task, as his elderly cousin Bilbo entrusts the Ring to his care. Frodo must leave his home and make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ring and foil the Dark Lord in his evil purpose. 
- Goodreads || Add it on Goodreads






I haven't read The Fellowship of the Ring since I was a teenager. I grew up reading Tolkien's books and watching the LOTR movies. I was a LOTR fangirl before I knew the word fangirl. I remembered thinking that the books were the best thing since The Chronicles of Narnia.

However, youthful enthusiasm wears off after a while. So when I decided to reread The Lord of The Rings, I was prepared to accept the fact that it might not be quite as good as I remembered.

And it wasn't. It was better.

I had forgotten that Tolkien tells a darn good story. I'd forgotten how very much I liked this book and its characters.

I love the way Tolkien writes about Middle Earth, the way he talks about mist, mountains, food, and trees is wonderful. I love parts where he just hints at a deep and mysterious history behind the events in the book. I had forgotten that the frightening things in this book are convincing. The Black Riders are such an alarming, dark threat, and the Barrow Downs are downright chilling. I was pleased to rediscover the mysterious elves and the hardy, practical Hobbits in their comfortable Shire. It was the same cozy yet ethereal Middle Earth I had left, but it was richer than I remembered.

I did not remember the characters to be very distinct or daringly drawn, but I returned to Middle Earth to find a cheeky old Biblo, a sarcastic Strider, and a wise, if somewhat impatient, Gandalf. I did not remember feeling very connected to the main character, Frodo. This time around, though, I saw more of his character. I saw a Frodo who felt a great deal of responsibility to take the Ring to Mordor, even though he has absolutely no idea what he is getting into.

There are things that I would like more or less of. For instance, I want better view of Frodo – I still feel I don't know a lot about him. And sometimes Tolkien can be a little wordy.

Overall, The Fellowship of The Ring is still a magical, dire, and epic story. It is still one of my favorite books.



Have you read The Fellowship of the Ring? Seen the movies? What are some of your favorite things about the story?

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm so happy to read this! I've seen the movies countless times, but I've only read the books once, a few years ago. I would love to read them again, but I have to get my TBR shelf under control first, and honestly, I, too, was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered it. So I am so very happy to read that you thought it was even better than you remembered. This gives me hope. :)

    Wordiness. Yes. Something J.R.R. Tolkien and Victor Hugo have in common... (I'm almost halfway through Les Miserables at the moment. Some beautiful descriptions, and then, 50 pages on the battle of Waterloo. What does this have do with anything?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movies are fabulous! I love how they condense the story while still capturing the spirit of it. I was so happy to find that I still liked the book! It's a risk to come back to old favorites because there's a chance they won't be as good as you remembered, but I really enjoyed this reread!

    Yes! Waterloo and then the chapters about the sewers (why sewers?!) were confusing and boring. Overall the story is good, but I guess wordiness isn't for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I haven't gotten to the sewers yet. Something to look forward to... :)

      Delete
  3. THIS BOOK IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. I have to have reread it close to five or six times. My favorite parts are Tom Bombadil and Moria.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites, too!! Tolkien outdid himself with Moria, everything about that part of the book is so well written and memorable! And Tom Bombadil is pretty cool, too! :)

      Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for taking time to read and comment. :) Over to you!

Popular Posts